Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Self-handicapping and egos

Self-handicapping is a strategy by a person that purposely sabotage their actions (self-reported or behavior wise) in order to protect or increase their self-esteem. Dr. Goh just taught about this earlier today and I just realized how much I've use it without me knowing what it was called haha... I was some sort of sore loser in the past and yeah, I don't accept defeat in good grace at times unless it's by someone i deemed worthy.

I carried this weakness with me for quite sometime and it restricted me from trying out on many things due to me wanting to protect my stupid self-esteem, pride and ego, I guess. Guy's ego again... Few days ago, me and a college mate just talked about how guys are full of pride and egoistic and me, being a guy myself have to agree with her. I told her on how guys, well some guys, are stupid enough to value their pride over other things and how pride and ego had stagnant and restrict some guys' growth in this ever competive world.

Many guys (I didn't say all) still assume that evolutionary theory is applicable in all setting or women still need a guy to protect them all the time and provide them their needs such as sex money etc... Many guys still think its the Medival era where they still hold control over women (which we can see why many idiots are still trying to control their gf, even on where they are going) which is totally crazy!!!

Wake up guys, it's the 21st century now and women and men are standing side by side. Aside from few natural differences, women certainly can achieve what men can do in many other areas such as education, workforce etc... In fact women had been catching up in terms of corporate ladder (do you even know that the top 3 Malaysia MSC companies' CEO position is held by women?) and education...

Anyway back to self-handicapping, so yea, I'm trying to change my weakness on that part and I hope to be more transparent with myself as well with others. I did learn that in order to improve, one needs to have the courage to try even when odds are against you. There can be 100 ways to discourage you from trying out a particular thing, but you only need 1 moment of courage to try something out, and that 1 moment could be the hardest to find.

I'm still learning...

No comments: